Silence is Never Really that Quiet

In the last twenty years or so communication has leapt from snail mail to instant messaging, from home phone to cell phone, from print newspaper and magazines to news and weather apps.  Why a woman the other day went downstairs during an internet outage and talked to her family.  A boy had to be txt from the kitchen to get him to the dinner table and commonly the guys don't chat much over smoko because they're on Facebook or playing with apps.  Kids are plugged-in to their sounds just walking to school and just the other day I laughed to see a granddad connected with earphones.  The radio used to beam music laced with talk and adverts but now the cell phone plays chat free add free songs of our own selected genre via the internet in the top pocket of the overalls.  There's freedom to chose but no freedom from interruption.
I feel like a minority to be content with the still small voice, the thoughts of my heart and songs in my head.  My life is a prayer, a constant communication with my sage, my companion and comforter.  Sure I can be interrupted but an interruption from heaven is such an honour.  Imagine the Queen stopping off for a cuppa and a chat, just with you.  Imagine the guest speaker stopping to single out you to come and introduce yourself to the crowd gathered.  When I am driving or working and the Spirit of God choses to make Himself known I am truly blest. Sometimes the notion is so soft to do it this way or that I hardly would notice it if other sounds were dominating my senses.  Silence for me is never really that quiet.

In many ways the improvement in the dominion of communications generally supresses the Kingdom of God-moments given to us by the quiet counsellor. Hope is found in the quiet contemplation of the things of God; in His peace, in His love, in His nudges. The voice of God is found in a walk beside a gentle lapping ocean, a sit beside a bird colonised lake, a stroll along a country lane, anywhere God's creation is more powerful than mans.  I confess to be more content in being a seeker in silence than to seek the contact of man, to seek a small glimmer of detritus from heaven than the massive riches of the world, to walk with unseen angels than sit in camaraderie with religious masses. The Bible accounts individual connection with God above royalty, the movement of a single humble human being above religion, and separation from God the surest symbol of sin.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inner Strength (Isaiah 64:1-9)

Lamps Aflame (Matt 25:1-13)

A Tree of Life (Jer 17:5-10)